Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 9---training in bomb disposal

I could have written this same title, years ago and would no doubt be talking about diapers. However, now at age 9, 7, and 5 the bomb has become less olfactory yet far more deadly. It's the bomb of exhaustion and hunger with 3 mouths, 3 tudes, and 3 extra curricular obligations. Now, any good bomb diffuser knows that you start that day with a bag of individual snacks at pick-up with names on the bags so there can be no possibility for a "She ate MINE!" moment. I learned today that only one child likes raisins. Had I made a superior snack choice it would've been smooth sailing, but the dual discontent for a large part of the snack was like cutting the wrong wire. The second thing any good diffuser knows is that if there is waiting involved--as in no two activities happening at the same time, a craft, iPad, book or my phone must be available. And they must not be made to share. I had only packed my phone and was waiting on a call from a Dr. Soooo that was another wire gone awry. But we hung tight, quickly making it to the next activity during which the phone was available, but the boys had to be sequestered in the car, much like throwing an exploding bomb into the ocean, in an effort to contain the pending explosion. After gymnastics, we quickly drove to Subway for a speedy pre-wrestling dinner. All that had to be done was get the food into the melting children before time ran out. They were able to start on the chips while we waited for the sandwiches to be made, which was a lifesaver. And then I ordered a six inch for our 9 yr old who, as the sweat poured off my forehead in fear, balked that it was not a foot long. He was quickly directed to the beverage area, while the other two fought about where to sit. I redirected them to the chips and quickly brought over their sandwiches. As they sat quietly eating--as if starved for days, the little horns on their heads started to submerge and the smiles came back. I felt as though I had found the right wire with 2 seconds left on the clock.
So, yes, I'm F'n tired. I just saved the world today. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment