Monday, March 18, 2013

Day 20---Charlie Babbit

I drove our 5yr old "Rainman" and his friends to school today.  He greeted them, once they were buckled and the car was in motion, individually with a "Good Morning."  And then I just listened...

"I only have one more wrestling practice and then my dad will give me 30 dollars."

I so badly wanted to interject with a correction realizing that nothing I said was gonna make it any better.  We had not promised him $30, but we had told him at the beginning of the season--when momentum was at a stand still and the interest in wrestling was non-exisitent...a time when tournaments had gone from a fair battle to our child laying on the mat in the fetal position wishing someone would make it stop---we told him if he worked hard all season he could earn (in the way bribes are earned) 3 SkyLanders figures.  And well, he rallied. He has been a wonderful participant ever since and on Tuesday, the last practice, it will be time to pay up.

"So, then on Tuesday, I will have $69 dollars!"

"I thought you said, '30 dollars'," his friend corrected as I sat impressed that a 4 yr old listens.  It must be 5 when the the ears breakdown.

"Yes, but I have $39 already at home in my bank and so when my dad gives me $30, I'll have $69." He smiled thinking about the larger number and then added, "I didn't just make that number up, you know? I have $39, and he's giving me $30. Which makes $69. But if he gave me $40, it would be $79. I wonder if he could give me $40?" He sort of asked and commented at the same time.

"Yea..." his friend politely contributed.

"BUT, If he gave me $100. then I would have $139. That would be a lot. I could get a lot of Skylanders with that. Almost 14 Skylanders, because they are about $10 each."

(Defintely a lot of Skylanders, defintiely. I'm a very good driver. A very good driver).

"Do you think you would get Hot Dog?" asked his friend, familiar with a couple Skylanders himself.

"Ummm...I dunno. Maybe. Hot dog is pretty cool and I don't have Hot Dog.  But I would like to get Prism Break for sure."

Then from the back of the car, the sweetest little 3 yr old voice, much like that of Cindy Loo Whoo from the Grinch called out, "Can you teach me Skylanders?"

"Yes. I can teach you. You can be Cynder or Whirlwind."

"Yes," she replied sweetly, "I know how to play those games."

"Those aren't games," he corrected, "those are skylander characters. You can be those."

"Ooooooh," she said nodding. And added a little bit later, in her little Whoo voice..."That would be hilarioussss."

1 comment: